This week at Massillon Rec Center
Come Down to the Boardwalk at the Massillon Recreation Center
The City of Massillon Parks and Recreation Department is bringing the boardwalk to the Massillon Recreation Center on Saturday, July 30, 1-4 p.m. Bring the whole family down to the Massillon Recreation Center to enjoy food, games, and music. You’ll enjoy swimming in the aquatics area with the boardwalk right outside! The boardwalk games are all being created by our Summer Playground Program. Admission is free for Massillon Recreation Center members and $3 for nonmembers. Food and game tickets are available for a small fee.
The City of Massillon Parks and Recreation Department is offering Archery Classes on Tuesdays evenings at the Massillon Recreation Center. Join us for this challenging class on Tuesdays, August 2-23. Class for ages 8-12 will be 6:00-6:45 pm and class for ages 13 and up will be 6:45-7:30 pm. Participants will learn about the bow and arrow and how to shoot one correctly and safely. As students skills improve, targets will be moved farther away and participants will continue to be challenged, helping to build self confidence. Cost is $20 for Massillon Recreation Center members, $22 for Massillon taxpayers and $28 for non-taxpayers.
Saturday Swim Lessons Mini-Session at Massillon Recreation Center
The Massillon Parks & Recreation Department has a new mini-session of Saturday Swim Lessons for ages 6 months and older on Saturday Mornings, August 6-27. All swim lessons are taught by Red Cross Certified instructors. Cost is $17 for members, $20 for taxpayers and $27 for non-taxpayers. Please register by Thursday, August 4.
Learn Spanish at the Massillon Recreation Center
Are you interested in learning to speak a different language? The Massillon Parks & Recreation Department is offering a beginner Spanish class Monday, August 8-Friday, August 12, 6-7 pm at the Massillon Recreation Center. This class will teach you basic conversations for work, travel or pleasure. Students will learn the Spanish alphabet, numbers, colors and basic sentences. Cost is $35 for members, $42 for taxpayers and $49 for non-taxpayers and includes all materials needed. Please register at the Massillon Recreation Center by August 4.
Oak Knoll Wading Pool is Going to the Dogs!
Your four-legged friends are invited to join the City of Massillon Parks and Recreation Department at Oak Knoll Wading Pool, 618 6th St SW on August 13 for a splish-splashing good time. Man’s best friend can enjoy the water while you get a chance to win prizes and visit doggie information booths. Small dogs will get to swim 1-2:30 pm and large dogs will swim 2:30-4 pm. The event is free, with an optional $3 donation to the Stark County Humane Society.
And don’t forget about our on-going Summer Programs –
- Massillon Farmer’s Market – Saturdays, 8 am-12 pm through October 8 in the Recreation Center Parking Lot. The market features home-grown seasonal fruits and vegetables, baked goods, flowers and more! Anyone interested in selling as a weekly vendor must turn in a vendor registration packet by the Thursday before the week they’d like to attend. Weekly spots are two parking spaces and cost $18 per week.
- NEW Fun-Fit-Float Summer Day Camp – The theme for the week of June 27 is Stars & Stripes Week! Register by camp by June 23. Camp is for ages 5-13 at the Massillon Recreation Center and hours are 9 am-4:30 pm with before camp care available beginning at 7:30 am and after camp care available until 6 pm. Camp includes sports skills and fitness fundamentals, playing group games, swimming in the aquatics center, daily lunch and weekly fieldtrips. Camp costs $100 per week for Massillon taxpayers and $110 per week for non-taxpayersBefore camp care and after camp care cost $5 each per day.
- Summer Playground Program – This program is for ages 6-11 and includes supervised activities and games on weekdays, 9 am-3 pm through August 5 at 4 park locations – Community Park, Oak Knoll Park, Reservoir Park and Lincoln Park. Cost is $8 per child for the summer. Field trips are optional and require an additional fee. Participants must register at the Massillon Recreation Center at least two days before participating in the program. Proof of age, a completed emergency medical form and liability release must be filled out at time of registration. Parents or guardians must be available in case of emergency or severe weather.
- Wading Pool at Oak Knoll Park is OPEN and Oak Knoll Party Rentals – The wading pool at Oak Knoll Park (618 6th Street SW) is open daily (weather permitting) 11 am-6 pm now through August 12. The pool is free and designed for ages 10 and under. Adult supervision, swimsuits and swim diapers are required.
- This year, you can have a fun in the sun party at Oak Knoll Pool. Private pool rentals include 2 hours of private pool use, either from 10 am-12 pm or 6-8 pm any day of the week. Contact Liann at 330-832-1621 ext 22 to make your party reservation. Cost is $50 for Massillon taxpayers and $60 for non-taxpayers.
- NEW Weekend Summer Swim Passes – For only $20 per person, you can swim at the Massillon Recreation Center every Saturday and Sunday through August 28. This pass pays for itself in just 4 visits.
- Sizzling Summer Savings Weekdays after 6 pm – Half price admission every Monday-Friday after 6 pm now through August 19. This is good for the pool, gym and fitness center.